Saturday, February 7, 2009

God's Discipline

Discipline is a tough topic. I have felt compelled to write what God has given me concerning God's discipline in our lives. We are constantly faced with the matter of disciplining each day. Neither one of us likes discipline but it is for the best. Just as parents discipline their children, God must discipline us. When you are in a leadership role you will be faced with disciplining others. When the matter of disciplining comes and you know it must be done, listen to God and be obedient to how you feel He is leading you to act upon it. One thing I have learned in youth ministry, discipline is a must, especially for their spiritual growth. When you are faced with a situation and you must discipline a person, it doesn't mean you don't love that person, you do it because you do love him or her and it is required for his or her spiritual growth. I have had my share of experiences with disciplining and have found that you cannot take it personally. If anyone knows me well, I tend to do that. I have learned over the years, you cannot do that. I have heard the negative comments from different members of our youth at one time or another that were faced with disciplinary actions. It is very hard not to take it personally but I have learned that is best for them and it is biblical. If we truly love God, we will understand why he brings discipline upon us. We also must be respectful to others, especially those that God has put in leadership roles. God has set for us some rules for holy living and we are to do our very best to follow them. You may find the rules for holy living in Colossians, chapter 3. God puts people in leadership roles for a reason and he has a plan for them and we are to show them the proper respect. I have learned over the years that discipline is one of the hardest things to do. As a parent, it is not fun disciplining your child. You know it has to be done for your child to learn from it. God disciplines us in the same way. We must be willing to learn from our mistakes. We may not like the punishment or discipline but God knows best. He loves us even though we are sinners. Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." It is through God's grace and mercy we are here.
1 Corinthians says, " When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world."
God disciplines us because He loves us.
Revelation 3:19 says, "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Does the Lord See? The Lord gave me this message back in March of this year and I wrote it down. The title given to me by the Lord w...