Saturday, May 9, 2009

Following Jesus

I have been reading and studying Luke. I came across the story "The Cost of Following Jesus" and this question kept coming to my mind, "Are we willing to follow Christ no matter what the cost?"

Luke 9:57-62
Jesus said to another man, "Follow me." But the man replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Still another said, "I will follow you Lord; but first let me go back and say good-bye to my family." Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."


It is a daily choice to take up our cross daily. We must make time to be with God, to spend time in prayer and reading His Word. It requires a daily commitment in order to grow in Christ and develop that personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Are we really giving him our very best? Are we committed? To follow Christ takes commitment on our part.

Back in the Old Testament, the people of God left everything to follow Him. They slept outside using stones as pillows. I am not much of a camper when it comes to sleeping outside. I have to admit I like the cabins or a camper, I guess a tent would do. Back in the early days if someone welcomed you in their home, you would sleep there but if not you would sleep outdoors. It goes back to our faithfulness and commitment to Christ. Can you imagine leaving everything (your family, your friends, your job) just like that to follow Christ? The choice is up to each one of us. The disciples were willing to follow Jesus and leave everything no matter the cost. In Matthew 4:18-22 and Luke 5:1-11 recalls the story of the calling of the first disciples (Peter, Andrew, James and John).

Matthew 4:18-22 says, As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

Luke 5:10-11 says, Then Jesus said to Simon (Peter), "Don't be afraid, from now on you will catch men." So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him."


Following Jesus Christ means living for Him and boldly sharing Christ with others. Jesus is the reason why we are here. We have been called and chosen for a purpose. Keep your eyes on Jesus. Don't give up when storms come your way, trust God and lean on Him, He will see you through the storm. Jesus Christ is worth following no matter what the cost. The cost of following Jesus is great and well worth the reward we will receive - eternity with our Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Does the Lord See? The Lord gave me this message back in March of this year and I wrote it down. The title given to me by the Lord w...