Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mom's Battle With Cancer

I would like to take a moment and share with everyone what has been going on over the last year. I have not been writing lately as my mom has been battling cancer over the last year. The last few months took a turn for the worse. She was diagnosed last June with Non-Hodgkin T-Cell Lymphoma cancer. Her mass was near her bowels around the small intestines. It is a very aggressive type of cancer with only about 30% survival rate. She had went through 3 different chemo treatments, the last one (strongest chemo treatment) appeared to have worked. The mass had gone down from 7 inches to 2.25 inches. Within a month the mass started growing again. Her oncologist was going to start her on a clinical trial which was her last option other than a miracle from God. They had to do more tests before the treatments could be done. After all the tests were done, the scan revealed that the mass had grown from 9 inches to 14.5 inches which meant she could not do the clinical trial for the mass was too big. She was given only weeks to live. We had prayed for God's healing but God had other plans for her. My mom was a fighter and she did cry when she heard the news but she accepted it with grace. My mom was at peace and she knew where she would be going. She wanted to go back to Marion, Arkansas where most of our family is at. We took her back to Arkansas and I stayed that week there for I wanted to be with her during her last few weeks not realizing it would be much shorter. We arrived that Saturday, by Monday my mom was showing signs of deteriorating. She had already stopped eating. When she heard the news, she no longer had the fight in her she once had, she simply gave up. My mom had been a fighter but she knew the time had come and she had no more fight in her, she was simply at peace. She was ready to go home. My sister and I saw my mom during her last few days, we saw the pain and the weakness. She slept most of the day, responsive at times. We had prayed that if God wasn't going to heal her here on earth, please go ahead and take her on home. We couldn't bare to see her in pain anymore. I am very thankful to Hospice for helping out and showing us what to do. We were blessed that our mom didn't suffer too long. Mom received the hospital bed on Tuesday, she was alert somewhat but having weird conversations. That night she spoke about seeing a light, my sister and I knew what she was talking about. We knew the way she was progressing it was going to be a matter of days. Mom slept most of the day on Wednesday and was awake on and off most of the day on Thursday. Then later on Thursday evening, she appeared to be in a comatose state. We could not wake her for anything. We checked on her periodically throughout the night but we had a feeling her time had come. My sister went in to check on her at 5:00am and she was not breathing. We called Hospice and when the nurse got there she confirmed what we thought to be true. Apparently it had just happened shortly before we checked on her for she was still warm but by the time the hospice nurse came mom was getting cold already. My mom went on to be with the Lord on Friday morning, July 2nd; she went peacefully in her sleep. I thank God that He blessed us with a wonderful and godly mom. She didn't suffer as long. Her symptoms didn't appear to get worse until the last two months. She passed within 2 weeks of hearing the news that there was nothing else they could do. The last week was the worse, she really declined during that week in fact within a matter of days. She is completely healed now, rejoicing with the Lord. I know I will see her again when God calls us home. Please take a moment to read the next post as it is in memory of my mom. Hope this helps someone who may have lost a loved one.

Blessings,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Does the Lord See? The Lord gave me this message back in March of this year and I wrote it down. The title given to me by the Lord w...