Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Mother's Love (In Memory of our Mom)

In memory of our mom, Barbara Edwards. She went on to be with the Lord on Friday, July 2nd, 2010 after a year long battle with cancer.  I wrote this story in memory of our mom. I have also included a story from my sister, Cathy. We hope these stories will help all those who have lost a loved one.
A mother's love is as deep as the ocean. Her love never ends. She had seen us cry, laugh, mad, disappointed, and fail her. Even through the failures and disappointments, she never stopped loving us. She helped us along the way, showed us right from wrong, and followed the ways of the Lord. She helped us through many trials and was always there to listen. She made you laugh and was a joy to be around. A mother knows when you are hurting and seems to always know how to mend it. She offers words of encouragement and words of wisdom. Can I sum up a mother's love? No, not really. For what I have experienced, a mother's love is never ending. A mother's love is caring, nurturing, gentle, full of patience and wisdom, compassionate and loving. She had an incredible love that would light up a room and was evident to those she was around. We were truly blessed to have a mom such as her. We are considered blessed. My prayer is that the same legacy will continue. I would like to share a scripture which sums up my mom; it is from Proverbs.
Proverbs 31:25-30
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household... Her children arise and call her blessed... Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
There is a song that is perfect for a situation like this titled "You Wouldn't Cry" by Mandisa This song really spoke to my heart. If you have lost a loved one, I would encourage you to listen to this song. Our mom will always live on within us. She is rejoicing with the Lord and we know she is in a much better place now. She has no more pain, no more suffering, she is cancer free, completely healed! It is not good bye for we know we will see you again, it is more like a "see you later.

I would like to share this story from my sister, Cathy (sentimental and funny).
When I think of the characteristics of my mother, I think of a nurturing, supportive, caring, gentle, loving woman. She loved her family like a true warrior. When she received the news that she was terminal, she cried some, but she accepted the plan that God laid out with peace, rather than with fear. This brought such comfort to the family. She was a remarkable woman, mother, and friend that will be greatly missed.
I remember once that mom gave me this pot to cook with. I had never seen anything like it. I asked if it was a steamer and she said "yes," although later she did not recall telling me that. Anyway, I decided to steam broccoli in this new pot and noticed it had a little screw thing that went on the top, so I screwed it on. I went in the kitchen a few minutes later to check on it and I couldn't open the pot. I had to force it open with all of my strength. When I did, broccoli flew from the floor, literally to the ceiling and the pot flew all the way up and broke the kitchen light fixture and ended up in the sink. After hours of cleaning, I called mom to tell her about this steamer and she said, "Cathy, that's a pressure cooker, I see I shouldn't have given you that!" We made an agreement that she would no longer give me anything unless there was a box and a set of instructions.

If you knew my mom, you would know she was a sweet woman of God. She had accepted the fact that she was terminal and had come to peace with it. I really believe that mom went so quickly and peacefully because she knew we were at peace with it. Everyone spoke about how quickly she declined and they had not seen anyone go so quickly. She was at peace and ready to meet her maker, our Lord Jesus Christ. I told her Thursday that she would soon be singing with the Lord and that she would have an angelic voice. Little did I know that the Lord would call her that next morning. Now she is rejoicing with the Lord and I know one day I will see her again. It is not good bye for we know we will see you again, it is more like a "see you later."



Blessings,
Cindy & Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Does the Lord See? The Lord gave me this message back in March of this year and I wrote it down. The title given to me by the Lord w...